Tooth Colored Fillings
Porcelain inlays/onlays and Tooth Colored Restorations (composites) create fillings that are not only beautiful (or unnoticeable) but also add strength to weakened teeth. These restorations are esthetically pleasing and very strong thanks to new bonding technologies and are a great alternative to amalgam(silver) restorations in most instances.
Disadvantages of Silver fillings:
Silver fillings have many drawbacks. The edges of the silver filling can wear down, become weak or break. This results in the tooth not being protected and lets cavities get started once again. With age, the metal of a silver filling expands, contracts, and can split.
Silver fillings contain 50 percent mercury. They can corrode, leak and cause stains on your teeth and gums.
Fortunately, silver fillings can safely be replaced with Tooth-Colored Restorations.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored Restorations
There are many advantages to tooth-colored restorations. Porcelain inlays/onlays are bonded to the teeth creating a tight, superior fit to the natural tooth. Such restorations can be used in instances where much of the tooth structure has been lost. The tooth remains intact and stronger.
Replacing Silver Fillings with a Tooth Colored Restoration
You can have your silver fillings replaced with tooth colored composites in one visit . Large amalgams require two appointments to replace with porcelain restorations.
Your First Appointment:
- The old filling is removed along with any additional decay.
- An impression is made of your teeth. A model of your teeth is made and sent to the lab.
- A temporary inlay/onlay is placed on the tooth.
At the Lab: A porcelain restoration is made with the model of your teeth. It is then designed to look natural.
Your Second Appointment:
- The temporary inlay/onlay is removed.
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new restoration.
- Bonding cement is placed on the tooth and a high intensity light bonds the resin to the tooth.
- The tooth is then polished.
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!